Approximately 800 transplant surgeons, trainees, physicians, Advanced Transplant Providers, and industry representatives gathered in Miami, Florida, January 9-12 for the 20th Annual State of the Art Winter Symposium. Speakers used this year’s theme, Honoring Our History, Forging Our Future, to reflect on past successes and challenges in transplant surgery and the future of the profession.
This year, the meeting began on Thursday afternoon, and the program featured sessions focusing on past technical challenges in transplant surgery, as well as sessions focusing on what the future holds for evaluation of potential organ donors and recipients.
Highlights of the meeting included a session on moral injury featuring a talk by Elizabeth A. Pomfret, MD, PhD, FACS, the Hume Lecture by ASTS past president Nancy Ascher, MD, PhD, and a transplantation metrics roundtable discussion featuring a panel of special guests from across the industry put together by ASTS President Lloyd E. Ratner, MD, MPH. A joint AHPBA session, sponsored breakfast and luncheon symposia, and oral abstract and surgical video sessions rounded out the program.
Friday morning began with a special session, ASTS Research Grants: Updates and Outcomes. Afterward, attendees could choose from three concurrent sessions - the Business Practice and Advocacy Seminar, Education Workshop, or ATP Session - which included topics as varied as safety and transportation of recovery teams, legislation and advocacy, diversity and inclusion in the transplant profession, minimally invasive surgical approaches, training opportunities, postoperative care, uterus transplantation, and innovative use of ATPs in transplant.
The ASTS Recognition Awards were also presented Saturday. Congratulations to the recipients:
- ASTS Francis Moore Excellence in Mentorship in the Field of Transplantation Surgery Award: John Roberts, MD
- ASTS Pipeline Award: Sunil Geevarghese, MD, FACS, MSCI
- ASTS Rising Stars in Transplantation Surgery Award: Adam D. Griesemer, MD, and Ali Zarrinpar, MD, PhD
- ASTS Advanced Transplant Provider Award: Heidi Sarumi, PAC-S, MMS
- ASTS Vanguard Prize: Garrett R. Roll, MD, FACS, and Amit K. Mathur, MD, MS
- ASTS Sherilyn Gordon Memorial Travel Award: Julia Shirin Torabi, Christine Haugen, MD, PhD, and Heather W. O’Dell, MSN, ANP-BC, MMHC.
ASTS gratefully acknowledges Veloxis Pharmaceuticals as the sponsor of the Mentorship Award, Pipeline Award, Rising Stars Awards, Vanguard Prizes, and ATP Award.
ASTS thanks the sponsors of the 2020 Winter Symposium for their support:
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Platinum Plus Level Sponsor
- CareDX, Platinum Level Sponsor
- Veloxis Pharmaceuticals, Diamond Level Sponsor
- Natera, Inc., Diamond Level Sponsor
- Sanofi-Genzyme, Gold Level Sponsor
- Medtronic, Silver Level Sponsor
- Hansa Biopharma, Bronze Level Sponsor