ASTS is excited to announce a new benefit for all active members. As a transplant team member, you may be required to travel for procurement on a moment’s notice. We have acquired additional insurance coverage to protect you and your loved ones if something were to happen to you while traveling for your work.
Coverage is available to members who have paid their current year dues, beginning in January 2021. Here are the details:
- Who is eligible? Every active ASTS member.
- What underwriting is required? None, you are covered with no underwriting requirements as a member of ASTS.
- What is the coverage? This is a High Limit Accidental Death and Dismemberment plus Accidental Permanent Total Disability, Business Travel Accident Insurance policy that pays out if you are injured or killed while traveling for work related to harvesting organs
- How much is the coverage? The policy is 4x your annual income with a minimum benefit of $1,000,000 and a maximum benefit of $4,000,000.
- When is the coverage effective? The policy goes into effect on XXXX xx, 2020.
- What is covered while you are traveling for work:
- Accidental Death: The principal sum benefit is paid to the designated beneficiary in the event of death due to accidental bodily injury.
- Dismemberment: The principal sum benefit is paid in the event of the loss of use of both hands or feet, or one hand and one foot, or the loss of sight of both eyes. One half of the principal sum amount will be paid in the event of the loss of sight of one eye, the loss of use of one hand or one foot, the hearing of both ears or the ability to speak.
- Permanent Disability: The insured has been totally disabled for a 365-day period from an accident while traveling for work. At the end of such period, it is determined by competent medical authority that the insured will not recover from the effects of the sustained injuries to the extent of ever being able to resume the material and substantial duties of the insured’s occupation (this is commonly referred to as an “own occupation” definition of disability). The principal sum benefit will be paid to the insured.
This policy is underwritten by Petersen International, and it has been issued to the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS). You are automatically covered under this policy as long as you are an active member of ASTS, and any benefits received from it will be paid to your estate. If you have any questions about the coverage, you can connect with our broker, Stephen Mann or Kelly Lomas:
Area Sr. Vice President, Executive Benefits
Gallagher Benefit Services
Account Executive, Executive Benefits
Gallagher Benefit Services
ASTS is grateful to CareDx, an ASTS Distinguished Founders Circle member, for supporting this initiative.