Approximately 800 transplant surgeons, trainees, physicians, Advanced Transplant Providers, and industry representatives gathered for our first-ever digital State of the Art Winter Symposium on January 14-16, 2021.
This year, the meeting began on Thursday morning and the program featured morning wellness activities, Coffee & Conversations sessions, and a Presidential Address given by ASTS President Marwan S. Abouljoud, MD, FACS, MMM.
Highlights of the meeting included the Najarian lecture, the Diversity and Inclusion Series, and a talk by Dr. Tom Kato on his experience battling COVID-19. Velma Scantlebury, MD, the first Black female transplant surgeon and a pioneer in stapling, presented the 2nd annual Najarian lecture. Dr. Scantlebury discussed her educational and career trajectory, as well as obstacles she faced as a black woman in transplant surgery and how she persevered despite those challenges. The Diversity and Inclusion Series bedgan with a presentation by special guest speaker Professor Mahzarin Banaji, founder of Outsmarting Human Minds and author of the book Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People. The series also featured personal stories and anecdotes from ASTS members, discussions on how the transplant community can address diversity issues and take care of diverse patient populations, and conversations about potential solutions to issues of racial disparities in donation.
The ASTS Recognition Awards were presented Saturday. Congratulations to the recipients:
- ASTS Francis Moore Excellence in Mentorship in the Field of Transplantation Surgery Award: Gaetano Ciancio, MD, MBA, FACS
- ASTS Pipeline Award: Michael J. Englesbe, MD, FACS
- ASTS Rising Stars in Transplantation Surgery Award: Alexander H.K. Kroemer, MD, PhD, and Sylvester M. Black, MD, PhD
- ASTS Advanced Transplant Provider Award: Corrie Berk, DNP, MBA, APRN, FNP-BC
- ASTS Vanguard Prize: Andrew S. Barbas, MD, and Jacqueline Garonzik Wang, MD, PhD
- ASTS Sherilyn Gordon Memorial Travel Award: Jessica Santos-Parker, PhD, Jing L. Han, MD, and Eliana Z. Agudelo, PA-C
ASTS gratefully acknowledges Veloxis Pharmaceuticals as the sponsor of the Mentorship Award, Pipeline Award, Rising Stars Awards, Vanguard Prizes, and ATP Award.
ASTS thanks the sponsors of the 2021 Winter Symposium for their support:
Distinguished Platinum Level
Platinum Plus Level
Transplant Genomics, Inc., Eurofins